Principal System Architect, Engineering
uBeam is seeking a hands-on, eager, and experienced candidate with a proven track record, with a physics or EE background, to perform engineering tasks related to system design, system integration, and system-level specifications; to include end-to-end systems architecture. This will involve modeling full systems, including acoustic and electronic simulation, to trade-off and optimize design characteristics to achieve the overall system goal.
The Principal System Architect is the key person to set system-level technical strategy across the enterprise as well as for specific projects, define and create system level block diagrams. Works constructively with lead engineers in the acoustics and hardware/software teams to bridge the gap between the two groups and define the overall architecture. Understands and owns the interfaces, interconnections, and design attributes that cross functional blocks. Set guidelines to which systems must conform, with allowable variances to allow addition/changes to architecture. May not be the architect in any specific functional block, but will oversee all areas of interaction (includes software, firmware, hardware, signal routing, diagnostics, and testing).
This candidate will own the success of the overall system architecture in achieving the project goals. Works with project manager and collaborates with all team functions, to plan and execute all system integration milestones.
The Principal System Architect must have the ability to balance more than one project at a time, and/or project related activities. Must be highly experienced in project management, people management, and timelines; in relationship to overall company goals.
This candidate will report directly to the Senior Vice President of Engineering/CTO. We are looking for a candidate who not only has the technical skills to contribute to the development of uBeam’s technology but also has the leadership experience required to influence (without direct authority) an extremely talented and driven team.
- Work closely with Senior Vice President, Acoustics Manager, Manager of the Hardware/Software team, and overall engineering team to plan, communicate and gain buy-in of the project/product requirements (product cost, project cost, development timeline, specifications) with Marketing and the project team.
- Responsible for keeping the system specifications document updated and representing current agreements, and for insuring product performance meets system specifications incorporated in the document.
- Ensure the interfaces (board to board, HW with FW with SW) work together properly. Owns system interconnection diagram and definition, including all power distribution and power budget activities.
- Budgets out key parameters for design to the various functional block designers (e.g. power, thermal, cost, features/performance, etc.)
- Participate in all project related design reviews. Bring system perspective to review team, insure interfaces and interconnects are given adequate consideration.
- May lead trade-off discussions regarding partitioning of HW, FW, SW, etc. (e.g. what incorporated into FPGA vs. discrete components vs DSP, what is implemented in digital vs. analog, FW vs. SW, etc.). To be effective in this task the Principal System Architect will be expected to keep abreast of current technology in all relevant areas.
- Participates in risk identification, assessment, mitigation, etc.
- Insures system level adherence to DFx
- Participate in product line planning working closely with Senior Vice President of Engineering to the develop product line and define engineering project goals consistent with corporate plans and goals.
Note that the above details describe the principle duties of an employee in this position, but are not to be considered as all-inclusive. Employees may be asked to perform related duties by their supervisor.
- Bachelors from an accredited university in engineering or the sciences.
- Minimum 5 years of engineering and science work in high tech industry.
- Minimum 5 years as project lead, System Architect or similar position.
- Demonstrated ability to be a technical leader in electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, software or firmware, with solid knowledge in the other areas
- Good understanding and ability to communicate with all functions within the organization
- Strong influencing and organization skills
- Need to be able to drive to completion
- Ability to understand what can be practically completed and effectively manufactured, not only theoretical understanding.
- Ability to make rough order of magnitude estimates for cost and time for technical endeavors.
- Must have excellent technical and business judgment and good strategic understanding
- Start-up experience desired but not necessary
- Knowledge of acoustics, phased arrays and beamforming
- Master’s degree in engineering, preferably including systems
- Project Manager and People Manger experience
- Full lifecycle experience through to commercialization
- Candidate must have the ability to stand and sit for an extended period of time.
- May require heavy lifting (40 pounds) ….
- Work may involve exposure to chemicals used in processing, such as solvents and epoxies.
- This position is currently based in Santa Monica, CA